Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I Missed It Today....

It's been a rough week with my Julia. She's been slow to do what she needs to do and I have been quick to jump on her for the tasks she has either forgotten or refused or taken her sweet time with.

It's only Wednesday, but she has left the house crying/sobbing over something all three days. "Something" being a myriad of not doing what she was told topped off with me losing my patience and snapping at her. Oh and I have been mean. A kind of meaness that does not make me proud of myself no matter how deserving I think my meaness was.

And this morning. Worse.

A few weeks ago, all 5 of us went to Target to pick out Halloween costumes. Having not been allowed to Trick or Treat as a child, this little tradition of ours makes up for some of the fun I know I missed growing up. Choosing what fun (not scary/evil) character to dress my little babies as is so fun!

After not finding any costume and desparate to walk out of Target with something, she decided to choose real clothes from the Disney Line and be CeCe from her favorite show "Shake It Up". Case closed -and closed rather cutely....

Except CeCe has big red hair and I needed to get a big red wig.

Last night, we found an adult-sized red wig at Kroger and Julia thought it was acceptable....You know, these decisions must have the 7 yr old girl's approval.

This morning all was well. Wig was in place - kind of itchy - but we worked that out and headed to school.

We stepped one foot in when panic hit. I could feel it in her hand squeezing mine tighter and tighter as her body slowly shifted to behind mine and as her other hand slid the wig right off her head.

She pulled me to a stop, looked up at me with her round blue eyes now wide with a little girl embarrassment I quickly remembered from so many years ago...

"Mom" she whispered with her thumb in her mouth. "I don't like my costume anymore. Take the wig. I can't do it. Please, don't let anyone see it. Please, Mom."

Instead of saying, "Sweetie, you totally can rock this! You look great. You are CeCe to a tee! Your little friends are going to love it!"

I slithered. I jumped off the cliff of impatience and seethed.

"I paid $5.79 for this wig and you WILL wear it." - Just writing my hateful words chokes me. Not even for what they say, but how I said it. And how I know at that moment she was reaching for my confidence and I smacked back a cheap price tag.

Then I walked out of the school feeling her little presence standing alone in the hallway staring at my back.

It's a bad feeling messing up as a mom. But I'm not writing this to berate myself, but to remind myself of what really matters and how my sweet little Julia is little and needing me to tell her she has what it takes to "rock" whatever she sets her mind to do.

Today, I missed it. But because of today, hopefully tomorrow, I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment