Saturday, January 16, 2010

How Much Does a CT Scan Cost?

Well, I'm sure I will find out in the next week or so - but regardless, I learned today how much it is worth!

I was in the kitchen as Julia and Joshua were playing with the "tent" Jason built them around the couch when I heard the smack of Joshua's head hitting the coffee table - like a rock hitting the pavement! I rushed over and picked him. He reached for Jason then his eyes fluttered and closed. Panicking, Jason held him and I tapped his cheek saying "Joshy, wake up, wake up." He finally came around after the longest 20 or so seconds of my life.

So we all went up stairs and threw our clothes on to take him to the ER. I ran Julia over to our amazing neighbors who took her w/out question. When I got back, Jason said Joshua had done the whole eye-fluttering/closed thing again. While I'm not normally a jittery mother, all I could think about was Natasha Richardson and those boxers on Cinderella Man.....we flew to the hospital fast....

We went to Cincinnati Children's Liberty Campus and were taken back immediately once I explained what had happened. Let me tell you, this place has it TOGETHER! Super-friendly nurses got our information and took vitals quickly. The Dr. did was a perfect balance of concern and relaxed. Once she looked at Joshua and had us tell the story, she ordered a CT Scan to be on the safe side. A Child Life rep. came in with toys and information about how a CT Scan works with little ones - knowing what was going to happen before hand was so helpful cuz it was kind of crazy.

Joshua was not a fan of the CT Scan. They strapped him in a papoose as I held his arms and chin, Jason held his legs, and Ms. Tiffani the Child Life Rep. held a DVD player with Barney playing over Joshua's head. It took about 5 (felt like 50) minutes to get a good picture as they moved the bed back and forth (with all of us moving with it) through the big doughnut, but we did it and thank God, the scan came back normal.

We had to stay for 4 hrs so they could observe him. Nanna and Poppa came bringing tic-tacs, books and company for us as we waited for the ok to go home.

Anyway, we are home now and so happy Joshua is ok.

Peace of mind doesn't have a price - my lesson of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment