Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Silver Bride and Me

"Things have certainly changed since 1957, haven't they?" Ms. Faye asked me with her eyes sparkling like the diamond on her finger.

I answered "yes" on assumption that traditions, protocols, etc. have, indeed, been altered or even thrown out the window since her last trip down the aisle 52 years ago, but, I assured her "proper" these days is truly whatever you want it to be...as long as it makes your day special.

Her first husband had passed away several years ago and Ms. Faye was lucky enough to find a new love at almost 70 yrs. old. Her wedding day was here and she was as radiant of a bride as I have ever seen. She was wearing a silver flowing floor length gown that matched her silver hair. Her hands were shaking with nerves as she applied her mascara and her daughter looked on with tears. It was quite a change from the nervous daughter and crying mother I am used to seeing.

Her fiance, Ralph, stood outside the sanctuary chatting with his ushers, seventy-something year old Paul and eighty-something year old Roy. Most of the time, ushers have barely graduated high school. These men served in WW2 and Korea. When the time came, they were readily assisting guests to their seats and lit the candelabras with ease. I like to think watching their friends unite in marriage brought back feelings of youth and memories of yester-year as they are entering the winter of their lives.

Right before she walked down the aisle, her son-in-law, who stood beside her, took her arm with one arm and placed his other hand on her hand and said, "I love you." Such is the circle of life, I thought, so privileged to be a witness to this moment.

So Faye met Ralph at the alter and I know they will live happily ever after...

Life is so precious, as are the people in it - and I was so grateful for this reminder. It keeps going and wants us to take it for all that it is and I really hope that I am.....

No comments:

Post a Comment